- The Estonian Archipelago
- Harbours & Services
Lat = 58°58,20' Long = 23°18,75'
A very special little island with a Swedish past
Vormsi is a 93 km² large island on the west coast of Estonia. The strand line of the island is over one hundred kilometres long; a three kilometre wide strait separates the Vormsi Island from the mainland. For centuries the island has been inhabited by the Estonian Swedes. Main part of the population fled to Sweden in 1944. For example the cemetery with the largest collection of ring crosses in the world bears still witness of the Swedish era.
Nowadays the island has some 220 inhabitants. The islanders have close to their hearts the resurrection of their cultural heritage and folklore. During the past years Vormsi has received several associations dealing with both handicrafts and folkdances. It is planned even to extend the summer house settlements. The uninhabited beaches and the varied nature of the island give good preconditions to this.
The Sviby port with regular ferry connections to rohküla port on the mainland can be found on the south-eastern side of the island. The port with a max. depth of 3, 5 m offers berthing for 15 visiting boats. Plug-in possibilities and WI-FI- net available in the harbour. Bikes to rent and a café.
Hullo, the centre of the island lies 5 km from the port. There you can find various services: shops, a post office and the municipal offices.
|Last Updated ( Tuesday, 11 December 2007 )|